Tuesday, April 18, 2006

 

Comparison Shopping

I do a lot of comparison shopping. Every week I check both the Giant and the Safeway flyers that come in the mail to see who has the better deals (almost ALWAYS Giant, btw). I sit for 5+ minutes in front of the eggs- what's more important? Price? Is it organic? Are the birds vegetarian fed? Are they free-range? Shade Grown? Fair Trade? Renewable? Sustainable? Do they come in packages that kill trees or use fossil fuel? Oh, and price. Can I afford these? How much am I willing to spend to be antibiotic free? Sometimes I decide to get egg beaters instead because of fat and calories. Sometimes I decide to get them because I have a coupon. Sometimes I just decide, after standing there in front of the eggs, not to get eggs. I decide to get bean sprouts instead, or something.

Our government does the same sort of comparison shopping... Tax cuts or Child care? Money for food stamps or money for abstenince only education? Fight for Marriage Rights or for rolling an egg down the White House Lawn (oh, no, wait, that was HRC, not the government... sorry!) This website is scary as hell http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182

Watch the numbers go up! See what we could be doing with our tax dollars (Fully fund all hunger reduction programs GLOBALLY for 11 YEARS! Help 34 Million preschoolers spend a year in Head Start! The list goes on people) Holy Shit!

Maybe these people really know what they're talking about http://www.warresisters.org/wtr_menu.htm

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?