Saturday, September 20, 2008

 

being a fan


The WPS (new women's pro-soccer league) is looking, well, looking better than I expected. In the years since the demise of the WUSA, I've been cautiously optimistic about the return of pro women's soccer. The league had it's allocation of national team players and, well, I was pleased. Even if two of our players had broken legs this year and one is a relative unknown. Because, well, we have Abby. ::sigh:: ahhh, my other girlfriend (ha, ha, says N) I'm super-psyched that she'll be back here in DC- the team that drafted her (#2) in the second WUSA draft (for trivia purposes, #1 that year was Danielle Slaton, a defender, drafted by the worst team the first year of the league, Carolina). In those days Abby was not really playing youth national team stuff, she had a crew cut and was a bit of a bad-ass. Playing for the Freedom (starting right next to #9) helped her become the hard working, determined and humble(ish) player that she is.
Anyhow. I'm happy about Cat Whitehill (nee Reddick) as well- a solid defender is a great start to building a great team. Ali Krieger is a local and there's lots of good talk about her, so I'm excited to see her stuff. I'm not happy about having to go to GERMANTOWN to see 7 out of 10 games, ew. Who wants to go to Germantown...? But having the Freedom back? What a treat. Stay tuned- on Monday teams go to bat to see which International stars they can enter into contract talks with... I'm hoping for some crafty midfielders and outside backs... : )
To see pictures from allocation, check out this

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?